Breakfast Pizza Recipe
What family doesn’t love pizza? Our family also gets a kick out of having breakfast for dinner. Breakfast pizza is the perfect solution. The pizza crust is made from crescent rolls. It is topped with traditional breakfast ingredients including your choice of sausage, bacon or ham (or all three!), hash brown potatoes, and roasted red peppers. Eggs take the place of pizza sauce, and of course, it is topped with cheese. If you serve this with a generous portion of fresh fruit, you can stretch the recipe to feed 6.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 (8-ounce) can crescent rolls (see Notes)
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, bacon, ham or a combination
- 1 cup shredded hash brown potatoes
- 4 large eggs (about 1 scant cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (scallions), green tops included
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups fine-shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not the shelf-stable stuff in the can)
Preheat oven to 375 F. You will need a 12-inch pizza pan (larger will also work) or a heavy rimmed baking sheet at least 12 inches long and 12 inches wide.
Brown the sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring to create large crumbles. When no pink remains, remove sausage crumbles with a slotted spoon to a bowl to cool. Drain off any excess oil. (If using, the bacon should be cooked and chopped. The ham should be cut into 1/2-inch dice.)
In the same skillet, cook the hash browns until golden brown. Let cool while you prepare the crust.
To make the crust, open the can of crescent rolls and separate the dough into triangles. Arrange the triangles in a circle with the points to the center, slightly overlapping the long edges. Use your fingertips to seal the long sides and pat into an even circular shape. Roll the outer edge up about 1/2-inch to form a rim to contain the eggs. Distribute hash browns and meat evenly over crust.
Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk with the onion powder to combine. Pour the eggs over the potatoes and meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with roasted red peppers and green onions over the eggs. Finish with the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes until crust is browned and eggs are set. Cut into wedges to serve.
Yield: 4 servings
- Egg substitutes are easily used in place of whole eggs.
- Mozzarella, Swiss, Gruyere, or cheese blends may be substituted for the Cheddar.
- Pre-cooked sausage patties or links may be used in place of the raw breakfast sausage, eliminating a cooking step. Simply chop them into small pieces. Chicken/turkey sausage or vegetarian sausage will also work, as will chopped ham lunchmeat. Many people even like to use a pre-cooked spiced ham.
- This recipe begs for so many variations. Think of it like a traditional pizza and add whatever fresh or leftover vegetables that appeal to you. For more ideas of delicious pizzas, check out BC Pizza.